More than 300 students, 150 free breakfasts and 25-plus events marked the College of Liberal Arts and Sciences’ fourth annual LAS Week in March.
LAS Week 2021 brought together students, alumni, faculty and staff to celebrate the academic diversity in the college and connect students with resources that enhance their Iowa State experience. With a little (actually a lot of) creativity and innovation, LAS Week resumed this year with several in-person events—all within the new campus health and safety requirements.
The week kicked off on Central Campus with a free to-go breakfast and a resource fair promoting the LAS study abroad program, advising resources, career services, an international student network, undergraduate research opportunities and more. Throughout the week, students received invaluable advice during daily panels featuring alumni who are involved in innovation and entrepreneurial endeavors, media and sports communication. A mix of virtual and hybrid events allowed students residing both on and off campus to participate in undergraduate research presentations, attend the Spring 2021 LAS Dean’s Distinguished Lecture presented by Morrill Professor Don Sakaguchi about brain repair strategies, and listen to stories from students who have studied abroad.
LAS Week 2021 also celebrated the introduction of the LAS Dean’s Innovation and Entrepreneurship (I+E) Academy. Daily LAS I+E Academy events were aimed at introducing students to the skills, knowledge and personal networks which will allow them to become agents of change and launch their big ideas.
This year’s festivities diverged from the norm but also expanded opportunities to connect with alumni and friends of the college located across the country.
Thanks to our incredible sponsors this year—Kingland, Meredith and Principal! We are grateful for all the opportunities you helped make possible for our students.
And thank you to our amazing alumni who participated in events and connected with students:
- Trudy Huskamp Peterson (’67 English, Speech, History), archival consultant and former acting archivist, US National Archives
- Jeff Joniak (’84 Journalism and Mass Comm), Chicago Bears play-by-play announcer
- Julie Fie (’81 Speech Comm), VP of basketball communications, Phoenix Suns
- Gladys Nortey (’95 Journalism and Mass Comm, ’98 MS), CEO and founder of Nortey Solutions LLC and change management lead at Veritas Technologies LLC
- Lee Ann De Reus (’86 Political Science), co-founder/board chair for Panzi Foundation USA; executive director of the Domestic Violence Legal Empowerment and Appeals Project
- Alice Hudson (’63 Chemical Technology), technical director and former president and CEO of Surface Chemists of Florida Inc.
- Nolan Herlocker (’18 Liberal Studies), founder of Nolan’s Lawn and Landscapes
- Lauren Hughes (’02 Spanish, Zoology), state policy director, Farley Health Policy Center at the Univ. of Colorado